austinirene's photos | Statigram - Instagram Web Viewer

8.31.2009

The First Six Days

I'm not quite sure how to do this whole blog thing, but I'm going to give it a good ol' college try. I figure it'd be easier to write on one big blog about all the adventures I'm having in Chile instead of trying to communicate by mass email or facebook or myspace or whatever cyber-thing I use to talk to all the amazing people I know. So here's my silly little blog, where I'll post pictures and write about the experiences I'm having down here in South America.

The first 6 days down here have been mind-blowing! I met up with USAC (the program I'm using to study abroad down here) and they gave us a basic orientation to our program, a city tour and a lot of information about how to stay safe in the city, how to travel around in the city, how to deal with the culture shock we might feel in Chile etc...It was really comprehensive and I learned a ton of really helpful stuff from the USAC people.

My favorite part about this city so far is its awesome mass-transit system called the Metro. This subway system is SO clean and very easy to navigate. It feels like everyone in Santiago uses the Metro. Business people, students, old people, weird people, young people, old people...everyone is on the Metro. I've been using it a lot lately and I haven't gotten lost once! I love sitting on the bus and listening to people talk all around me...Chilean spanish is SUPER hard to understand for me, but I know it will get easier to understand with time and practice.

The coolest thing I've done so far is go SNOWBOARDING in the Andes mountains at a ski resort called Valle de Nevado. I never thought that I would ever get a chance to snowboard anywhere else in the world, and look at me now...I've been snowboarding in South America. SO COOL. I don't have words to describe how amazing that experience was. We went on Sunday Aug 30. I rented all of my gear for a really reasonable price. We rode a bus up a super curvy road and within two hours of leaving Santiago Emily and I were sitting on a chairlift in the Andes mountains on a perfectly sunny day...I don't know how it could have been better :)

So far, Chile has been exceeding every single expectation I've had....I love it here.

What's next? well......
This weekend Chile plays Venezuela in a World Cup qualifying match and the game is in Santiago...the tickets are sold out for sure, but a few friends and I are planning on going to a Chilean futbol pub to watch the game and cheer on Chile with some real live Chileans...It's going to be insane!!! I'm very excited.

that's all for now! Hasta Luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment