austinirene's photos | Statigram - Instagram Web Viewer

9.28.2009

Long Time No Post

How time flies by when you're in South America!

I can't believe I have already been down here for a little more than a month. I have done so many things, seen so many places, met so many people!

I'll sum up my favorite parts here.

Futbol! Futbol! Futbol! CHI! CHI! CHI! LE! LE! LE! VIVA CHILE!
Chile tied Venezuela in their world cup qualifying match 2-2. I watched the game in a stinky chilean bar called Aliens Aliens Aliens! It was VERY fun. The Chilean people have so much pride in their countrty. I've never seen or felt anything like it. The bar was going wild while Chile was playing. People were chanting, screaming, crying, laughing...it was a bit overwhelming, but awesome awesome awesome.

The next week we played Brazil and.....lost. T'was a tragic moment in everyone's life down here.

Travel
I went on a weekend excursion trip to three awesome towns: Pomaire, Isla Negra and Valparaiso. The last of which is my favorite town in the world so far.
Pomaire might as well be called the pottery capitol of South America. They make neat little clay pots, pigs and boots that you can buy for little under 2 US dollars. I don't know why they have the common theme of pots, pigs, and boots but seriously, in every single shop they sold piggy banks, pots, and big random ceramic boots.


Isla Negra is chill because famous Chilean poet Pablo Neruda has a house there. I saw the Pacific Ocean Chile style down here...It was windy and very cold. It looked like an ocean.
Valparaiso stole my heart with its abundant street art and crazy houses everywhere. It's a port city with a ton of hills. I like to say that it's a dirty-er, older and more eccletic San Francisco.

School?
Oh, I've been going to school too by the way...Let's not forget that while I'm down here, eh. My favorite teacher is an eccentric Chilean professor named Jaqueline (sp?)...she's crazy but is a great teacher. A bit air-headed, but that makes it all the more interesting.


Chile's Independance Day- Dieciocho de Septiembre
Celebrated the 18th of September with my wonderful host family. The weekend was full of "asados" the Chilean equivalent of a BBQ. They do BBQ's bigger, better, and more entertaining than the ones I've been to in the states...Well, except for Wortman BBQ's...those are always eventful...Anyway, asados are delicious. They grill up a ton of meats, make salads, play games, and babble babble babble in spanish....

Ohhh the Spanish
At first the spanish down here was extremely difficult for me to understand, but after a month I feel like I can decipher it pretty well.
If you asked me how my spanish is coming I'd say "I can get around pretty well..." but not fluent, no way, not fluent.


Overall, life is beautiful down here.
I'm meeting people, learning how to deal with big city life, speaking a foreign language in a foreign city, dealing with homesickness every now and then, drinking pisco sours and dancing til my muscles get sour...mi vida es dulce...

until next time,
Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment